A child no longer wants to live with her mother

What legal options does a parent have if their child expresses a strong desire to live with the other parent instead, despite existing custody arrangements with the mother?

1 Like

Is there any adult you trust that you can talk to about this? Or, do you think your parents would let you speak with a therapist if you asked? How about an older sibling, another family member, a grandparent, an aunt, a cousin, or an uncle?

Seriously, you feel this way. You need to talk to someone you trust if you are being abused or harmed in any way. If you are being harmed physically in a serious way, go to the police and tell them. They will know what to do. Keep in mind, if you do this, you might not be able to go home and could be placed with another family member or in a foster or group home, depending on your age.

If you’re close to legal age, 16 or 17, you can get a court order to establish your independence and live on your own if you can manage it.

I’m sorry you’re feeling this way. I hope it’s just a passing feeling due to a recent disagreement and not something you feel all the time. If you are feeling this way consistently, please consider what I’ve written and see if you can come up with any solutions. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Thank you.

Kay for i can suggest that In many cases, children thrive when they maintain positive connections with both parents. However, if your child expresses a desire to live with their other parent permanently, it’s important to create an environment where they feel safe to share their feelings openly. Listen attentively to what they have to say. While it’s crucial to encourage their expression, it’s also important to set boundaries against rudeness. If necessary, assist them in finding more constructive ways to communicate their thoughts and emotions.

When a child no longer wants to live with their mother, it can be a complex situation. It’s important to understand the reasons behind the child’s feelings and to approach it with sensitivity and legal advice, if necessary, to ensure the best interests of the child are prioritized.