Advice on free legal aid in California?

Seeking guidance on accessing legal assistance in Southern California for a domestic abuse victim on welfare seeking divorce. Interested in personal recommendations for free or affordable aid. The accused spouse resides in another state. DVRO has been filed and outreach to local domestic violence programs attempted.

2 Likes

In every California court, there’s self-help available to assist with paperwork and other requirements. Additionally, you might explore services like marble.co or legalshield, both offering payment options.

1 Like

I’m in the midst of a divorce, and unfortunately, nothing comes for free. I’m shelling out thousands of dollars each month just to keep the process moving forward. Even for a DVRO, which you’ve already obtained, seems to be the only thing available at no cost. When I was seeking advice from divorce attorneys, I couldn’t even secure a free consultation. I’m in California, and roughly, I’m paying around $350 per hour for legal assistance.

Divorce can be financially draining, especially when legal fees start adding up. It sounds like you’re dealing with a challenging situation, both emotionally and financially. California’s legal system can be particularly costly due to its complex divorce laws and high living expenses. While it’s tough to see the financial strain, remember that investing in competent legal representation can be crucial for ensuring your rights and interests are protected throughout the divorce process. It might be worth discussing with your attorney if there are any potential cost-saving measures or alternative dispute resolution options available to you. And if you ever need to talk through the challenges you’re facing, I’m here to listen.

In California, you can get free legal aid through organizations like Legal Aid Society or through local law schools that have legal clinics.