Can adults be free from their parents?

I want to make sure my mom can’t control me or any future kids I might have. She treated me badly, but I don’t have solid proof for a restraining order. I’m scared she’ll try to force herself into my life. I’m getting married soon, but I’m worried she’ll still try to control me. She says she owns me because she’s my mom. I don’t want kids because I’m scared she’ll try to take them away from me. I’m also scared of getting sick or dying because I know she’ll try to control what happens to me.

What can I do to cut ties with her legally? Can I make sure she has no say in my health or if I die? Can I have kids without her getting any rights? Can she legally be treated like a stranger to me? Can adults become independent from their parents legally?

Many parents are controlling and old-fashioned. They want to control everything you do because they want to feel important. They might not realize that you’re growing up and don’t need them as much anymore. They’re more focused on themselves than on you.

Some people might defend your parents, but they might not see things clearly because they’re also strict with their own kids.

If you want some advice, try to act like you still need them. It might make them realize how exhausting it is to control everything. But make sure to be responsible when they’re not around, so you’re ready for adulthood.

Don’t let them bother you too much. Find a happy place, like your room or a friend’s house, to relax.

Honestly, parents can be tough to deal with, and I can’t do much to help. But know that you’re not alone in feeling this way.

Legally, adults have the autonomy to live independently from their parents. Once individuals reach the age of majority, typically 18 years old in many jurisdictions, they are considered legal adults and have the right to make their own decisions and live their lives as they see fit.

However, the degree of independence that adults have from their parents can vary depending on cultural, familial, and financial factors. While some adults may choose to maintain close relationships with their parents and may rely on them for emotional or financial support, others may seek complete independence and establish their own households, careers, and family units.

In some cases, adults may face challenges in achieving full autonomy from their parents, particularly if they are financially dependent on them or if there are complex family dynamics at play. However, legally, adults have the right to establish their own lives and make decisions independently of their parents’ wishes.

It’s important for adults to assert their autonomy responsibly and respectfully, considering the impact of their decisions on themselves and their families. Additionally, maintaining open and healthy communication with parents can help navigate the transition to independence and foster positive relationships based on mutual respect and understanding.