Can any FL family lawyer clarify the concept of "no fault"?

I just spoke with a family lawyer recommended by someone, and she essentially said there is nothing I can do as I try to leave an emotionally and financially abusive relationship. My spouse has been the sole income earner and has been withholding all the money. Any expenses during our marriage were put on my credit cards, which has now left me in debt. Two days ago, he left the house without even discussing it with me; he sent a text saying he would pay this month’s rent but didn’t mention anything about the other bills or future payments. I’m not even sure he will pay this month, as he often changes his mind. Since our marriage is less than a year old and in Florida, marriages under 10 years are considered short-term, I am entitled to nothing.

I was told that he had to at least maintain the “status quo” and pay bills until the divorce is finalized, but she said no. He has zero obligations. He could leave tomorrow and do nothing. Also, there is nothing regarding the abuse; even if it could be proven, the “no fault” concept protects him. So… she said I can do nothing.

Is this truly the case? Can he do everything he’s done and leave tomorrow without any responsibility? I wasn’t even looking for anything long-term, just some support for 2-3 months as I build my income.

1 Like

True, Florida has “no fault” like almost every other state, so given your incredibly brief marriage, you probably won’t receive alimony; nevertheless, debts and assets related to the marriage will be divided.

1 Like

The concept of “no fault” in family law generally means that neither spouse is required to prove the other’s fault or misconduct in order to obtain a divorce. It allows couples to divorce without the need for blame or accusations.

1 Like

@LizCampbell ~1 year childless and property-free = Count your blessings, you’re lucky, you’re free!

Florida’s streamlined dissolution procedure takes six to eight weeks, unless one of you is inaccessible or unreasonable. With no children, less than a year, and no real estate, this is paralegal-level material if you can’t fill out the documents. Look. 901a.pdf can be downloaded at https://www.flcourts.gov/content/download/685807/file_pdf. Congrats and best of luck!