Can any FL family lawyer clarify the "no fault" laws?

I recently spoke with a family lawyer recommended by someone, and she said there’s absolutely nothing I can do about my situation. I’m trying to leave an emotionally and financially abusive relationship. My partner has been the sole income earner and is withholding all the money. Any expenses I covered during our marriage are now on my credit cards, leading to significant debt.

Two days ago, he left the house without speaking to me, sending a text stating he would pay this month’s rent but not mentioning any other bills or future payments. I’m not even sure he will follow through, as he often changes his mind. :exploding_head: Since our marriage is under a year and, in Florida, marriages under ten years are considered short-term, I’m entitled to nothing.

I was told that he had to maintain the “status quo” and pay bills until the divorce is finalized, but the lawyer said no—he has zero obligations. He can leave tomorrow and not contribute anything. There’s also no consideration for the abuse; even if it could be proven, the no-fault laws leave him free of responsibility.

Is this truly the case? Can he really leave tomorrow with no responsibilities? I was only hoping for 2-3 months of support while I establish my income.

hallo my friend, while the Florida No-Fault law seeks to simplify the claims process, it has certain limitations and intricacies. If you have particular inquiries related to your circumstances, seeking guidance from a family lawyer is recommended.

In Florida, it’s a no-fault state for divorce, meaning reasons don’t matter much. Irreconcilable differences are enough to start the process. You can ask for temporary alimony during the divorce, but it’s short-term. If your attorney didn’t mention this, she should’ve. Financial abuse isn’t strong unless it involves threats or denying access to funds or physical abuse over money.