Can any Florida family lawyer clarify the implications of "no fault" divorce?

I just spoke with a family lawyer who came highly recommended, and in short, she said there’s absolutely nothing I can do to leave an emotionally and financially abusive relationship. My husband has been the sole income earner and has been withholding all the money. Anything I’ve spent during our marriage has been on my credit cards, which has left me in debt.

Two days ago, he left the house without any discussion, sending a text saying he would pay this month’s rent but not mentioning the other bills or future payments. I’m not even sure he will pay this month since he frequently changes his mind. :exploding_head:

Since our marriage has lasted less than a year and Florida considers marriages under ten years as short-term, I’m entitled to nothing.

I was told he must at least maintain the “status quo” and pay bills until the divorce is finalized, but the lawyer said no—he has zero obligations. He can leave tomorrow and do nothing. There are also no repercussions for abuse due to the no-fault divorce laws.

Is this truly the case? Can he really do all this and leave with zero responsibility? I’m not looking for long-term support, just 2-3 months to build my income.

1 Like

In this case, first note that while no-fault divorce laws mean that abuse does not necessarily affect the division of assets or alimony, it does not mean that your husband can leave with zero responsibility. The court may order temporary support to maintain the status quo during the divorce process.

Since this is a complex legal matter, it might be beneficial to seek a second opinion from another family lawyer or legal aid service that can take into account all aspects of your specific situation.

Florida is a “no-fault” divorce state. This means that either party may seek a divorce without providing any reason for it other than the spouses don’t want to be married anymore. The spouse seeking a divorce simply needs to state that the marriage is “irretrievably broken.” This rule relieves the court of the complicated duty of deciding who is at fault, and the parties to the marriage are spared having to talk about painful personal issues in court.

You mentioned a no-fault divorce leaving you with no options, but that’s not necessarily true! Here’s why getting a second opinion might be helpful:

• Even in short marriages, finances matter: Courts can consider your situation and divide assets/debts fairly.
  • Abuse can be a factor: Evidence of abuse can impact custody and alimony decisions.
  • “Status quo” might apply: Your husband may still have some obligation to cover bills during the divorce.

Seek another lawyer, gather evidence (texts, statements), and explore resources like the Florida Bar Association or the National Domestic Violence Hotline. You have options!