DNA testing in Washington state

Hello guys, Can someone tell me the easiest and quickest way to make my daughter’s mom go through a court-ordered paternity test? Maybe what forms I need to fill out for the test, visitation rights, and custody. Also, how can I ask to change my daughter’s birth certificate to include my name as her dad and give her my last name? I’m new to this process and any advice would be really helpful.

1 Like

To establish paternity and address related matters in Washington State, follow these steps:

1. Court-Ordered Paternity Test:
  • If you need to establish paternity through a court-ordered DNA test, you can file a Petition to Establish Parentage in the county where your child lives.
  • The court can order DNA testing to confirm parentage.
  • Genetic material (usually cheek swabs) will be collected from the mother, child, and alleged father.
  • If the test confirms biological fatherhood, the court will issue an order establishing parentage.
  • The father’s name can then be added to the child’s birth certificate.
  1. Forms and Process:
  • Obtain the Affidavit for Correction form from the Washington State Department of Health (DOH).
  • Complete the form and submit it along with two proof documents (such as government-issued photo ID, Social Security records, etc.).
  • Proof documents must match the correction requested on the form.
  • The process does not include adoptions, gender changes, or surrogacy.
  1. Changing the Birth Certificate:
  • To change your daughter’s birth certificate:
    • Correcting her last name by moving the last given middle name to the first part of the surname.
    • Submit the Affidavit for Correction form and two proof documents.
    • If she is under 18, follow the process for correcting a birth certificate for children.
    • If she is an adult, follow the process for correcting a birth certificate for adults.
  1. Benefits of Establishing Legal Paternity:
  • Beyond custody and support orders, legal parentage creates strong bonds between parents and children.
  • This connection supports emotional and mental health for both parents and the child.

Remember to consult an attorney for personalized guidance and to ensure you follow the correct legal procedures.