Do grandparents have rights in Mississippi?

How many times can someone take you to court for grandparent rights in Mississippi?

2 Likes

Grandparents in Mississippi have virtually few rights. In general, the courts support children having a strong relationship with both sets of parents. It is believed that doing this is better for the child.

Grandparents may, however, apply for visitation under the following conditions:

Revocation of parental rights for one or both of the child’s parents
Parental Death for one or both of the parents

Under such situations, the Court may grant grandparents reasonable visitation privileges after taking other relevant factors into account.

In Mississippi, grandparents have the ability to apply for visitation with their grandchildren under certain circumstances. According to Mississippi Code section 93-16-3, a grandparent may request visitation rights if

One of the child’s parents receives custody of the grandchild.
One of the grandchildren’s parents’ parental rights is terminated.

1 Like

I recognize. I appreciate you informing me about Mississippi’s laws regarding grandparent visitation rights.

The Mississippi Code that you referenced delineates certain circumstances under which grandparents may file a visitation petition. If you are thinking about going this way, it could be beneficial to speak with a Mississippi family law attorney to go over the details of your case and weigh your choices.

1 Like