Do You Need a Lawyer for Small Claims Court?

I’m considering taking a case to small claims court but unsure if I need legal representation. Can anyone explain whether a lawyer is necessary for small claims court and what the advantages or disadvantages might be?

For context, I’m in Michigan but curious in general.

Say I get overcharged by $5 at McDonald’s. I’m confident I can prove they are in the wrong and owe me that $5. I’ve done my research and want my money back. When I ask them, they refuse.

So, I file in small claims court against McDonald’s. I understand they might either request to get it bumped up or simply refund me the $5 to avoid wasting time. But let’s say it goes in front of a judge and McDonald’s cannot have legal counsel because it’s a small claims court.

Who would represent McDonald’s in front of the judge? Would it be the manager of that store? A non-attorney corporate advisor? The employee who made the mistake?

This is a hypothetical question, of course. Sorry if it seems silly.

I was in a similar situation in another state last century, the other party brought a lawyer, but only in defense of a similarly shoddy claim. They lost the case and I sued again to claw back a rent increase they hadn’t justified based on that outcome. Ran into the landlord at a home Depot a few years after and just laughed in his face - still driving his dad’s hand me down lincoln with a cheater on the driver’s side.

A lawyer will be neccessary because Limited Legal Knowledge, You might lack expertise in legal matters.
Emotional Stress Handling your case can be emotionally draining.
Risk of Losing Legal representation increases your chances of success.
Complex Cases For intricate issues, a lawyer’s guidance is valuable .However the disadvantages are Cost Savings :Representing yourself saves money on legal fees.

You don’t necessarily need a lawyer to represent you in small claims court, but there are advantages and disadvantages to consider:

Advantages of Representing Yourself:

• Cost-Effective: Small claims court is designed to be accessible, and attorney fees can be expensive. Representing yourself saves money.
  • Control Over Case: You present your case directly to the judge and can tailor your arguments the way you see fit.

Disadvantages of Representing Yourself:

• Legal Knowledge: You’ll need to understand court procedures, evidence rules, and how to effectively present your case.
  • Complexities: Navigating the legal system can be challenging, especially if the case involves legal complexities or significant money.
  • Opposing Party with Lawyer: If the other party has a lawyer, they might have an advantage in navigating legal procedures.

When a Lawyer Might Be Helpful:

• Complex Legal Issues: If your case involves contracts, property rights, or other intricate legal matters, a lawyer can provide invaluable guidance.
  • Significant Amount of Money: For larger claims, the potential benefits of winning might justify the cost of an attorney.
  • Uncomfortable in Court: If you’re unfamiliar with courtroom procedures or feel intimidated, a lawyer can represent you and handle the legwork.

Hello, Madison. In Kenya, attorneys are not allowed to represent individuals in small claims court. The overall concept is a low-cost, simple method for resolving minor disagreements.

Sure, you can if you want, but small claims court is a simpler version of civil law designed to be easy for regular people who aren’t lawyers. You’ll file your complaint and serve it to the defendant, they’ll respond, and then you’ll get a hearing date. At the hearing, both sides present their case to the judge, who will usually make a decision right then and there. It’s similar to what you see on TV shows like The People’s Court or Judge Joe Brown.
So, basically, it’s not necessary to talk to a lawyer first, but you can if it makes you feel more prepared for your small claims case.

1 Like

Attorneys are typically not permitted in small claims courts. Bring your documentation to the hearing. You ought to be alright.