How Can GoFundMe Impact Family Law Cases?

Hey guys, I need some advice. My son’s father, who has never really been in his life except for a few phone calls, recently told my son he has a treatable type of cancer and is undergoing chemotherapy. We found out there’s a GoFundMe for him that’s raised about $30k so far, and he’s using his “15-year-old son” to make it seem like he’s been a great dad.

This is really upsetting for my son because he’s never been included in his father’s life, and now he’s being used for donations. Legally, is my son entitled to any of that money? Should I ask to have my son removed from the GoFundMe? I’m not sure what to do and it breaks my heart to see my son hurt like this. What do you think?

From a lawyer’s perspective, ensuring bills get paid is beneficial. However, GoFundMe pages are public and can expose your situation to the other side, potentially causing issues in court or with support orders. While it likely doesn’t violate ethical rules if the lawyer isn’t involved, it’s something to consider carefully due to potential risks and unwanted attention.

Hello. @Dolph Unless he is behind in court-ordered child support, you and your son have no claim to that money.

In family law situations, GoFundMe can be utilized to raise attorney fees. Its public nature, though, may have an impact on your argument. Make sure the money is acquired legitimately and isn’t dependent on a particular result.Moreover, crowdfunding is becoming more popular as a way for people to raise money for legal expenditures… Remember that GoFundMe campaigns and other fundraising platforms may complicate injury claims and have tax ramifications.To handle the legal ramifications of crowdfunding, speak with an attorney.

GoFundMe can impact family law cases by providing financial support for legal fees, custody battles, or other expenses. It can also influence public opinion and awareness of the case.