How can I get custody back from a grandparent?

Hello guys, I’m 21 years old, living in Florida, and my two kids are staying with my mom for now. Their dad was killed five years ago when he was 21, and I was pregnant with our second child at the time. We had our first child when I was 15. He didn’t sign the birth certificate because he was worried about getting into trouble due to our age difference. Now, his mom is trying to get temporary custody of the kids, but I think she just wants money and government support. I didn’t know about this until recently because my mom didn’t want to stress me out. His family is dangerous; there’s always fighting, the police are often there, and they’ve threatened me and my mom. I’m really scared because they have a lot of money from illegal activities and have hired an expensive lawyer. I don’t know if I can afford a lawyer. I need help and advice desperately. If anyone can assist me in any way, big or small, please help. I’m terrified.

2 Likes

I am sorry you are facing this challenging circumstance. Speak with a local family law attorney as soon as you can. Despite the monetary and legal obstacles you are experiencing, they may offer you advice on the best course of action to safeguard your parenting rights and the welfare of your kids. Make a point of showcasing your stability and fitness as a mother. You can keep custody with the assistance of a knowledgeable lawyer. Keep going; your kids depend on you. Sending you my best wishes.

1 Like

Hi, Getting custody back from a grandparent can be a complex legal process and typically involves demonstrating to the court that you are capable of providing a stable and suitable environment for the child.

If they have a lot of money then going to court might not be the best option, ty settling it through a dialogue

A parent can attempt to try and amicably discuss the issue with the grandparents to see if they will return custody of their grandchildren.