How do I get a paternity test in Washington state?

Does anyone know how I can quickly get a court to order a paternity test for my daughter’s mom? I also need to know what forms to fill out for the paternity test, visitation rights, and custody. I want to change her birth certificate to include my name as her father and give her my last name. I’m new to this process, so any advice is appreciated.

1 Like

In Washington, there are four major ways to establish paternity, each suited to different circumstances:

1. Marriage Prior to Birth: If the father marries the mother during her pregnancy, there is a presumption of parentage. This presumption can be challenged by the father, mother, or a third party at any time.
  2. Legal Domestic Partnership Prior to Birth: Similar to marriage, entering into a legal domestic partnership before the child’s birth also results in a presumption of parentage, which can be challenged by either parent or a third party.
  3. Paternity Acknowledgement Form: Fathers can establish paternity by signing a Paternity Acknowledgement form and submitting it to the Washington State Department of Health. This option is straightforward but should be approached with caution, especially if there is uncertainty about paternity. There is a 60-day window to revoke this acknowledgment.
  4. Court Order (with Possible Paternity Test): If a suspected father is uncooperative, paternity can be established through a court order, which may require a genetic test. This method is useful for resistant fathers but can involve court costs.
1 Like

To get a paternity test in Washington state, you can contact a DNA testing center, schedule an appointment, and provide the required samples, typically cheek swabs from the alleged father and child. The samples are then analyzed in a lab, and results are usually available within a few days. Some centers also offer at-home testing kits that you can mail back to the lab. If you need the test for legal purposes, make sure it’s performed by an accredited lab.