How to write an affidavit for custody

As a home daycare provider in Canada, I’ve looked after a child whose family situation was tough because of the father’s behavior. I once called Child and Family Services (CAS) anonymously about it, but nothing came of it.

Now, the child is no longer in my daycare because the parents split up a year ago. However, I still see the father around because he’s a neighbor of a friend. I’ve seen neglect and bad situations involving the child and the father. The mother wants full custody and asked me to write down what I know in a legal document called an affidavit. I want to help keep the child safe, but the father’s family is powerful in our small town, and I’m worried they might try to harm my daycare’s reputation if they find out I wrote the affidavit.

Is there a way for me to give my information to the court without revealing my identity to the father’s family? Or do I have to tell everyone in court who I am? I really want to help the mother and child, but I’m scared about what might happen to my daycare if the father’s family comes after me.

1 Like

An affidavit for child custody is basically a sworn statement explaining why you should be the primary caregiver. Think of it as a chance to tell the court, in your own words, why you can provide the best home for your child. Facts are key here. Research what factors courts consider, like your stability (job, home), your relationship with the child (activities you do together), and your ability to meet their needs (healthcare, education). Focus on specifics and avoid bad-mouthing the other parent. Keep the tone positive and factual, emphasizing how your situation best supports your child’s well-being.

To write an affidavit for custody:

1. Start with your personal details and relationship to the child.
  2. State the facts that support your request for custody.
  3. Include information about the child’s well-being and why custody with you is in their best interest.
  4. Be concise and factual, avoiding emotional language.
  5. Sign the affidavit in front of a notary public or another authorized official.

Make sure to check local laws or seek legal advice for specific requirements in your jurisdiction.

1 Like

It’s admirable that you are concerned about the child’s safety. Many countries allow you to submit material anonymously to the court via CAS or a legal representative, protecting your identity and safeguarding the welfare of the kid. To avoid any negative consequences for yourself and your daycare’s image, talk about confidentiality measures with the court or legal counsel.

1 Like