Is Form FL-311 required in legal separation petitions in California?

After following all the necessary procedures, my ex-partner and I filed for formal separation. Form FL-311 was not a needed document, so I checked the box and did not fill it out. Today, I received a call from the clerk regarding this. Can we submit it later, or is it necessary at the time of the original petition? When it is not necessary, do not do anything at all. I get to visit her unsupervised whenever I want, and she will receive partial and legal custody.

2 Likes

You should attach a FL-311 if you indicated in your Petition or Response that one would be attached by checking the corresponding box. Alternatively, you can uncheck the box and submit an updated Petition/Response.

2 Likes

Form FL-311 is not always required, but if the clerk requests it, it may be essential. You can probably submit it later if required, but I recommend clarifying this with the clerk to assure compliance. In general, if it is not required, there is no need to take any additional action. However, make sure you double check this to avoid any problems with your separate file.