Is it illegal for the custodial parent to track their child's tablet via GPS during visitation with the non-custodial parent?

Hey everyone, I have an issue here.
When I visited my 8-year-old, I saw a GPS tracking app on their tablet called Google Family Link. This app lets the parent who has custody know where our child is when they’re with me. It was put on the tablet without me knowing or saying it was okay. Our agreement about parenting doesn’t say visits should be watched or controlled. Is this like someone trying to mess with my time with my child or invading our privacy? Can I ask the court for help with this?

The legality of tracking a child’s tablet via GPS during visitation with the non-custodial parent depends on various factors, including the specific laws in your jurisdiction, the terms of any existing custody agreements or court orders, and the circumstances surrounding the tracking.

In general, custodial parents have a legal right and responsibility to ensure the safety and well-being of their child, which may include monitoring their activities and whereabouts, especially during visitation with the non-custodial parent. However, there are certain limitations and considerations to keep in mind:

1. Privacy Rights: Children, like adults, have a right to privacy. Tracking their tablet via GPS without their knowledge or consent may infringe upon their privacy rights, particularly if they are old enough to understand and express their preferences regarding privacy.
  2. Consent of Non-Custodial Parent: Depending on the custody arrangement and any existing court orders, the custodial parent may be required to obtain the non-custodial parent’s consent before tracking the child’s tablet during visitation. Failing to do so could potentially violate the non-custodial parent’s rights and lead to legal repercussions.
  3. Court Orders or Agreements: If there are specific provisions in the custody agreement or court orders addressing parental monitoring or electronic tracking of the child’s activities, both parents are obligated to comply with these terms. Violating these provisions could result in contempt of court or other legal consequences.
  4. Best Interests of the Child: Ultimately, any actions taken by the custodial parent, including tracking the child’s tablet, should be in the best interests of the child. This includes ensuring their safety, security, and emotional well-being, as well as fostering positive relationships with both parents.

Before implementing any tracking measures, it’s essential for the custodial parent to carefully consider the potential legal and ethical implications, consult with their attorney if necessary, and communicate openly and transparently with the non-custodial parent about their concerns and intentions. In some cases, it may be advisable to seek guidance from the court or a mediator to address any disputes or concerns related to parental monitoring and tracking.