Kentucky custody laws for unmarried parents

My daughter has been living with me for about 9 months now, and during this time, she hasn’t seen her mother for about 7 months. Recently, my ex reached out wanting to talk to our daughter and has threatened to involve the police and take legal action against me if I don’t comply. Currently, we do not have any formal custody agreement in place.

My ex has admitted that she chose to separate herself from our daughter because she believed it was best for her own well-being. However, I am deeply concerned about her ability to provide a stable and safe environment. She has a documented history of alcohol abuse, has been physically abusive to me in front of our daughter and her own children (which I have evidence of), and has moved residences multiple times in the past year with different partners. She also has a recent DUI charge, and in a previous marriage, she lost custody of her other children, with her ex-husband being granted sole custody. Additionally, she has relinquished parental rights to another child through adoption.

My primary concern is the well-being and safety of my 3-year-old daughter. I am considering seeking sole custody or at least custody arrangements that involve supervised visits for her mother. I am genuinely fearful about the potential risks to my daughter’s safety if she were to spend unsupervised time with her mother.

While I understand Kentucky operates under a 50/50 custody presumption, I am wondering if a judge will take into account my ex’s history and behavior as a mother when making custody decisions. I want to emphasize that my goal is not to disparage her, but rather to ensure that my daughter’s best interests are prioritized and protected.