Landlord Rented Out My Home on Airbnb During Vacation

I am currently renting a home in California under a one-year lease.

Recently, I spent a couple of months in Vancouver with my family to spend time with my new nephew and enjoy the summer vacation. Upon returning, I discovered several items missing from my home, including my PlayStation, PC, and an entire gun safe with a firearm inside.

There were no signs of forced entry. I promptly filed a police report for the theft and asked my neighbors if they had seen anything unusual. To my surprise, two neighbors mentioned that they hadn’t realized I was gone because they had seen cars parked in front and people coming and going the entire time.

I then approached my landlord to inquire if he had allowed any repairmen or other individuals into my home, as they could have had access to a key. Shockingly, he admitted to renting out my home on Airbnb during my absence.

I am absolutely furious. He denies any wrongdoing, arguing that it is his building and that I vacated for two months. However, I was paying rent for the entire period I was gone. It dawned on me that he had taken advantage of my absence after I informed him I would be away and switched to paying rent via Cash App instead of in person.

He is refusing to accept any liability, stating that he is not responsible for the actions of the guests and advising me to file a renter’s insurance claim.

Your landlord’s actions are unacceptable and likely illegal. You should seek legal advice immediately. Document all communication and evidence, and consider filing complaints with local housing authorities or seeking restitution through small claims court.