Meet and Confer with Opposing Counsel (California)

In preparation for a DVRO trial, Opposing Counsel and I have scheduled a meeting to go over a number of items.

I would like to know if it would be appropriate to bring up my collection of exhibits that I plan to utilize to impeach their client during our evidence discussion at our meeting. (For the record, their initial complaint contained a number of contradictions and exaggerations.)

If a settlement can be reached, that would be great, but I also do not want to lose the advantage I have because I am certain that they will testify under oath that everything they wrote down was true and accurate, and I will present them with the evidence exposing their dishonesty in the initial complaint in order to have the original TRO approved.

When we talk about and reveal each other’s evidence, how should we go about this?

2 Likes

Everyone said to get an attorney right away. I paid a law office $32,000 in a year, but I still had to undertake the majority of the work myself to uncover hidden assets. There is nothing worse than having a lawyer who is more concerned with collecting his fees than with keeping you safe.

1 Like

Don’t reveal to them what you own. Always let them tell lies in court before nailing them. Judges detest being misled. particularly in front of an occupied courtroom.

1 Like

The exchange of evidence is frequently done in stages. Before the trial, a list of witnesses and exhibits is usually exchanged, then, closer to the trial date, there is a more in-depth exchange.