Mother abducts child and takes it to France

My friend has a 3-year-old son. The father is American, and the mother is French. They met while traveling, and their son, born in France, has both French and American passports. A few years ago, they decided to raise their son in the USA. However, the relationship turned toxic, with the mother abusing my friend mentally and physically.

During a weekend at his mom’s, my friend sought a couples therapist. When he returned, his wife had fled to France with their son. Since 2021, he has only seen his son through FaceTime, when allowed. A lawyer advised him to contact the French embassy for kidnapping but mentioned he would need a lawyer who practices in both France and the USA—an expensive option he can’t afford.

He wants to secure time with his son and get divorced. The wife can’t return to the USA due to visa violations. My friend fears going to France because she previously manipulated law enforcement, leading to his arrest.

How can he legally see his son and secure visitation without going to France, where he doesn’t know the language? :broken_heart::us::fr::family_man_boy:

2 Likes

This sounds so phony. “Really just wants to see his kid” . Engage legal counsel. He’ll view his child that way. This is the reason why courts “favor” mothers, if it’s genuine. Dad simply won’t go; instead, he’ll wait three years and consult Reddit.

1 Like

Had a lawyer two years or more ago. Clearly, he needs to take a plane to France to see his son. Being overly terrified isn’t really much of an excuse, so if this is the complete thing, we’re going to have to screw up.

The US embassy in France is another place where your friend might try to get advice. That being said, time is critical in situations involving international parental kidnapping. Pressuring them to retain legal counsel right away is essential—legal knowledge is required in a scenario this complex. Keeping records of all conversations and information regarding the case might also help with the legal procedure. A strong case will be made for your acquaintance by the combination of legal representation and thorough documentation.