Pro-bono attorneys for someone in need

Hello,

I have a friend who really needs some help with the law. But she doesn’t have money to pay for it.

We both live in Seattle. If there’s a lawyer who knows about family law in Washington state and can help my friend, that would be great. I can also pay some money for their advice.

Thanks

1 Like

In Seattle, there are several resources available for pro-bono legal assistance in family law matters. Here are a few options you can explore for your friend:

1. King County Bar Association’s Pro Bono Services: They offer various legal services for low-income residents, including family law matters. [You can find more information and apply for assistance through their website.
  2. [Washington Appellate Project: While they primarily focus on appellate cases, they may provide resources or referrals for family law issues.
  3. [Seattle Family Law: This practice offers family law services and might have options or referrals for pro-bono assistance.
  4. Pro Bono Washington: An online resource administered by the Washington State Bar Association that connects legal professionals to pro bono opportunities. [They partner with over 80 volunteer legal providers offering services to low- and moderate-income individuals.
  5. [Legal Aid & Pro Bono Attorneys: Websites like Super Lawyers list top-rated legal aid and pro bono lawyers in Seattle, which could be a starting point to find a suitable attorney]

It’s commendable that you’re willing to support your friend financially for legal advice. Some attorneys may offer a sliding scale fee based on income, or you might find a lawyer who is willing to provide a consultation for a reduced fee.

I recommend reaching out to these organizations directly to inquire about their services and any potential costs involved. They should be able to guide you through the process of obtaining legal assistance for your friend. Good luck, and I hope your friend receives the help she needs.

Pro-bono attorneys provide legal services for free to individuals who cannot afford them.

Even if an attorney is willing to take on a single charity case, they certainly won’t advertise it. Finding an attorney who will work pro bono usually involves many hours of calling and meeting with various lawyers before finding that one person willing to help.

I don’t understand why people believe there are numerous attorneys eager to work for free. That notion comes from the movies, not real life. In over 30 years of working for and with more than a dozen attorneys, I can recall only a handful of cases that were handled without charge to the client.