Question about child abandonment and relinquishing rights in Texas

I have a 2-year-old daughter. Her biological father has never seen her and does not legally pay child support. He randomly sends me $150 every other week but never asks about her or anything. He lives 8 hours away, is married, and his wife does not know about my daughter. He has never sent a birthday present, card, Christmas gift, or anything. He pretty much left when I said I was pregnant. I want to relinquish his rights, but I’ve been told Texas doesn’t like to grant them because the child needs a “father.” Is this true? No father is listed on the birth certificate. I would love for him to pay to help her financially, but if that means he could potentially take her or have visitation, I’m willing to give up child support because it’s not about the money in the end. I really just want him out of our lives. He still talks to me because he wants to talk to ME, but never asks about her or her well-being. When I bring up child support, he just says he doesn’t need that stress. I am a single mom raising her, and I’ve been doing it for so long I don’t care about his money. Can I terminate his rights due to child abandonment? If not, what are my options? Any advice is appreciated.

3 Likes

I believe that in Texas, a 6-month period without communication or financial support is seen as child abandonment. Seeking more specific information? It never hurts to speak with an attorney.

2 Likes

His rights never began if they aren’t listed on the birth certificate. He is not entitled at all. He would have to prove paternity and file for them. Just block him and forget about child support unless you want to deal with him having possession.

1 Like

He cannot give up rights that he does not possess. He has no rights because his name isn’t on her birth certificate.

When a father surrenders his rights and the child is in that circumstance, an adoptive parent must be there.