Sample Parenting Plan

I’m sorry if I’m not supposed to ask this here. I looked through past posts but couldn’t find anything.

I live in Georgia now. I moved here from North Dakota after asking the court to recognize me as the father. The mother is disagreeing; my daughter is 2 and a half years old. This is my second lawyer, and neither knows much about helping a father become recognized. So, they’re not sure how to make a plan for parenting.

I just need some help getting started - like a basic plan of what people usually put in these plans.

2 Likes

Don’t worry Jason Here’s a sample parenting plan that outlines the responsibilities and arrangements for co-parenting after separation or divorce. Keep in mind that this is a general template, and you should customize it to fit your specific situation:

Parenting Plan for [Child’s Name]

Introduction

This parenting plan outlines the agreements between [Parent 1’s Name] and [Parent 2’s Name] regarding the care, custody, and visitation of [Child’s Name]. Both parents are committed to providing a stable and loving environment for the child.

Legal Custody

• Joint Legal Custody: Both parents will share decision-making authority regarding major issues related to the child’s upbringing, education, health, and religion.
  • Communication: Parents will communicate openly and consult each other on important decisions.

Physical Custody and Visitation

• Primary Custody: [Parent 1’s Name] will have primary physical custody of the child.
  • Visitation Schedule: [Parent 2’s Name] will have visitation rights as follows:
    • Every other weekend from Friday evening to Sunday evening.
    • One weekday evening per week.
    • Alternating holidays and school breaks.
  • Transportation: Parents will share responsibility for transporting the child during visitation.

Communication

• Regular Updates: Both parents will provide regular updates on the child’s well-being, school progress, and health.
  • Emergency Contact: Parents will exchange emergency contact information.

Child Support

• Child Support Agreement: The parents have agreed on a child support amount of $X per month, payable by [Parent 2’s Name] to [Parent 1’s Name].
  • Review: The child support amount will be reviewed annually or as needed.

Healthcare and Medical Decisions

• Health Insurance: [Parent 1’s Name] will maintain health insurance coverage for the child.
  • Medical Decisions: Both parents will consult each other on medical decisions, including non-emergency treatments and surgeries.

Education

• School Choice: Parents will jointly decide on the child’s school.
  • Parent-Teacher Conferences: Both parents will attend parent-teacher conferences and school events.

Extracurricular Activities

• Agreement: Both parents will support the child’s participation in extracurricular activities.
  • Cost Sharing: Costs related to extracurricular activities will be shared equally.

Relocation

• Notice: If either parent plans to relocate, they will provide written notice to the other parent at least 60 days in advance.
  • Modification: The parenting plan may be modified if both parents agree or if there are significant changes in circumstances.

Dispute Resolution

• Mediation: In case of disagreements, parents will attempt mediation before pursuing legal action.
  • Court: If mediation fails, either parent may seek court intervention.

Signatures

We, [Parent 1’s Name] and [Parent 2’s Name], have read and agreed to the terms of this parenting plan.

[Parent 1’s Signature] [Parent 2’s Signature] Date: ____________________ Date: ____________________

Remember to consult with a family law attorney Jason to ensure that your parenting plan complies with local laws and addresses your specific needs. :star2:

My neighbor was in an identical situation, and he first underwent a court ordered DNA test to prove he is the father. Once that was decided, he devised a strategy for sharing responsibilities, which included decisions concerning his daughter, visitation times, and communication. He also handled child support according to Georgia’s guidelines. He hired a lawyer who was knowledgeable in family law and fathers’ rights in Georgia, and the Georgia Bar Association assisted him in finding a suitable lawyer. It turned out well for him.