Sole parental responsibility

“My baby is seven months old. Four months without his father. I can not get in touch with anyone at all. emails disregarded as well. How can I pursue becoming the only parent? Or how I go about applying for it. He has no interest in anything related to children. Should be simple then, right?” Liza from California

:point_down:

Any advice on how she can regain her seven years will be appreciated.

Liza, to pursue sole parental responsibility in California, you’ll need to file a petition with the family court. Explain your situation, highlighting the lack of contact and involvement from the father. Gather any relevant evidence, such as unanswered emails or messages. It’s wise to consult a family law attorney who can guide you through the process and increase your chances of success.

I think you should begin by filling out the Petition for Custody and Support to initiate the process. After completing the petition, you need to prepare the Summons and its Attachment. Once these documents are ready, you must serve them to the other parent, ensuring they are notified of the custody case. Following this, you will have the opportunity to present her case at a court hearing, where you can explain why she should be granted full custody.

In California, the courts prioritize a child’s well-being. Since the father isn’t involved, Liza has a strong case for sole custody. A family law attorney can be her champion in court, advise on the legal process, gather evidence of the father’s disinterest, and represent her effectively. Keeping records of all contact attempts, like emails and voicemails, will be crucial.

The legal process might take time, but a lawyer can help Liza navigate it efficiently and get the best outcome for her and her child. Here are some resources to get her started: California Courts Self-Help Center and the State Bar of California Lawyer Referral Service. Focus on her child’s well-being, and a lawyer can guide Liza towards a secure future for them both.