Special needs child and financial support

Hi there,

I live outside of California after getting divorced. Because of a little mental illness, my adult child need particular care. Since the mother is unemployed, she receives assistance from the government and other organizations. Every year, I spend one to two weeks with my child.

In spite of the lack of a court order for support after my child turned 18, I continued to give $1500 per month for rent and other expenditures since a lawyer had recommended me to do so in order to prevent potential “adult child support” action.

I would like to know if the state may make me provide for my adult special needs child even though the child receives support from the state and other organizations. In that case, how is this determined? If I quit giving money, I want to know the legal ramifications, the procedure, and what that means.

Anxious Dad

1 Like

As a parent, it’s your responsibility to provide support for your child for as long as they need it, provided you have the means. Parenting is a commitment to care for your child through all circumstances, including the possibility of special needs. The obligation to support a child should not fall solely on the mother or taxpayers. It’s a shared duty that comes with the role of being a parent.

Services We Get in California:

Medi-Cal (Medicaid Waiver), provides healthcare based on disability rather than financial need. Co-pays are covered by Medi-Cal because we have private insurance. Medicaid waivers, I think, are available everywhere.

Regional Center (a stand-in for services related to developmental disabilities in other states). The Lanterman Act in California provided us with extra services. Paying a caregiver during respite hours allows parents to take a break. covers the cost of extracurriculars. Covers the cost of any childcare services beyond what a regular child would receive (e.g., a 1:1 daycare). covers the cost of any medical care not provided by the school or our health insurance (Floortime).

Parent-provider-led in-home support services. hours of care so that our children can stay in their homes safely. Parental care can be provided and remunerated for

In California, child support usually stops at 18, but since your child has special needs and your ex gets government aid, things get a bit trickier. I can’t guarantee anything, but a judge might consider you helping out since the mom can’t fully support them on her own.

There’s no automatic “adult child support” in California, but the court could order you to chip in if the judge thinks it’s fair. Best bet is to talk to a lawyer who specializes in family law. They can help you figure out your options and navigate the legalities of stopping payments or maybe even adjusting the amount.