What Are the Consequences of Contempt of Court in California?

Hey guys, I need some advice. I’m facing three counts of contempt in California and I’m wondering how likely it is to go to trial and what the potential outcomes might be. The penalties could include fines up to $1,000, up to five days in jail, 120 hours of community service, or missing one weekend visit.

The counts are:

1. Missing one weekend visit, which is the first time in over five years.
  2. Disparaging my kids’ mother a couple of times about 1 to 2 years ago, and again about a year ago when I warned my kids not to let her manipulate them.
  3. Not completing an anger management course by the end of 2019, which was part of a restraining order requirement. I finally completed it in September, but she had already filed for contempt.

What do you think the most likely outcome will be?

1 Like

In my state, this would probably result in a court order along the lines of “Don’t talk negatively about the mother again or there’ll be consequences,” and maybe covering the attorney fees. Since you completed the classes, that issue should be resolved. And filing a motion for contempt over missing one weekend seems pretty petty to me, sometimes life just gets in the way, you know?

hallo folks In California family court, if someone is found guilty of contempt of court, the legal consequences may include up to 120 hours of community service, a maximum of five days in jail, and a fine of up to $1,000 per act of contempt. Additionally, they may be required to repay back due support payments, if applicable.

The consequences of contempt of court in California can include fines, imprisonment, or both. It’s considered a serious offense that can result from actions like disrupting court proceedings, refusing to comply with court orders, or showing disrespect to the court.