What Are the Key Factors That Influence Alimony in a Divorce?

Hey everyone, I need some input. My parents got divorced in New Jersey back in 1990, and my mom has been receiving lifetime alimony of $16,500 per year. She now lives in Florida and really needs the money because she can’t work due to medical issues. Recently, my dad, who’s now 80 and possibly retiring, filed a motion to stop paying her alimony. This might also be related to changes in NJ alimony laws from 2014.

What do you think are the chances that my mom can get his motion dismissed? Is it likely he can change the alimony agreement they made over 30 years ago and stop paying her, even though she lives in Florida now? Any thoughts or advice would be really appreciated.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s been over 30 years since the divorce, and my mom has been receiving alimony the whole time. I get where you’re coming from. It’s crazy to think that he’s still paying her after all these years, especially now that he’s 80 and retiring. It does seem unfair in some ways, but she really relies on that money since she can’t work due to medical issues. The alimony laws can definitely be a bit outdated and harsh, and I totally see why people might be hesitant to get married these days. My mom had her reasons and circumstances, but it’s a tough situation for both of them.

1 Like

Key factors influencing alimony in a divorce include the duration of the marriage, income disparity, financial needs, standard of living, age and health, education and employment, contributions to the marriage, marital misconduct, custody arrangements, and pre-nuptial/post-nuptial agreements.

1 Like

The key factors that influence alimony in a divorce include the length of the marriage, each spouse’s income and earning capacity, the standard of living during the marriage, contributions to the marriage, and any financial misconduct.

1 Like