What happens when someone presses charges against you for assault?

Hi. In 2023, I got into an altercation with my friend, and my cousin was there. I was a bit drunk and frustrated, so I pushed my friend, who then called the cops. When the police arrived, they tried to remove me from the situation, but I resisted. As I was walking to the bathroom, I shoulder-checked my cousin (I know it was stupid; I have grown a lot since then and would never do that again). The cop immediately detained me and, unbeknownst to me, asked my cousin to press charges against me, which he reluctantly did. My cousin later told my uncle and dad that he felt pressured by the cop to press charges.

Now, the State of Arizona is pressing charges against me, and although my cousin wants to drop the charges, I’m unsure if that would help. I’ve accepted a plea deal where, if I complete three months of probation without any legal trouble, the charges will be dropped. However, I’m applying for jobs that require background checks, and it would be beneficial if the charges could be dropped sooner.

Does anyone know if my cousin calling the prosecutor might lead to the charges being dropped? I contacted the court but was told, “The court is not able to give legal advice.”

Thank you in advance for any advice!

In a criminal case, you could go to jail, pay a fine, or be ordered to do rehabilitation or probation. In a civil case, the person may seek money from you to cover their medical bills, lost wages, and emotional distress.