What is a relative?

Hi there, I was wondering how people determine who is and is not a family because I am working on a project. At what point does someone get so far removed from your direct family line that you no longer feel connected to them? Since genetic ties appear to dwindle after four or five generations, when are people commonly seen as no longer being connected in society and culture?

2 Likes

Someone who is connected to you through blood, adoption, or kinship

3 Likes

Hi there a relative is a person who is connected with another or others by blood or either marriage, it is also having something, or standing in, some relation to something else.

2 Likes

A relative is a member of your family by blood, adoption, or marriage. This includes immediate family members like parents, siblings, children, and extended family members such as grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, and nephews.

2 Likes

Its simply a person who is related to another or others through blood or marriage.

3 Likes

A relative is a person who is connected to another individual through blood or marriage.

3 Likes

In genealogy, relatives are individuals linked through documented family history and ancestral lineage.

2 Likes

On my Dad’s side, he’s one of eight children and the only son still alive. I have third, and maybe fourth, cousins from that side of the family, but we all live far apart. I’ve never met my cousins’ kids or their kids.

On my Mom’s side, she only had a half-sister who has passed away. However, I know her children—my cousins—and their children, even though we don’t live very close to each other.

On my husband’s side of the family, he was an only child. His dad had one sister, and both he and his sister have passed away. His mom, who is also deceased, had one sister who died when she was very young.

It seems like families are growing farther apart these days, which is sad.

1 Like

Why have given us a story ?

2 Likes

A relative is someone related to you either by blood.

1 Like

He or She that is related to someone is known as a relative

Someone related by blood or marriage