What is the best major for a criminal defense lawyer?

Hey There!

I am trying to determine which school route will help me become a successful criminal defense lawyer. Though I know going to law school is inevitable, what kind of undergraduate major would be most helpful? Would a degree in political science, philosophy, or even a STEM subject like biology or psychology be considered more beneficial preparation than a degree in criminal justice? I want to make sure I am giving myself the best opportunity to be accepted into a prestigious law school and to acquire the abilities required to succeed as a criminal defense attorney. I would be very grateful for any guidance from those who are currently employed in this profession!

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

1 Like

For aspiring criminal defense lawyers, the best undergraduate major can vary. While degrees in political science, philosophy, or STEM fields like biology or psychology offer valuable skills, a degree in criminal justice can provide direct preparation for legal studies. Ultimately, focus on developing strong analytical and communication skills, as these are crucial for success in law school and the legal profession. Choose a major that aligns with your interests and strengths while preparing you for the rigors of law school admissions and the practice of criminal defense law.

1 Like

I would recommend a degree in science or math, history, philosophy, sociology on its own, or rhetoric, if it exists. The final two may seem strange, yet there are many similarities between math and science and law.