What is the key to an entrapment defense

Help me understand arguments for and against Entrapment.

1 Like

The key to an entrapment defense is proving that the defendant was induced by law enforcement to commit a crime they were not predisposed to commit.

1 Like

Entrapment is a defense to criminal charges based on the idea that the defendant committed the crime due to harassment or coercion by a government official.

1 Like

Ever hear of a cop planting drugs on someone to get them arrested? That’s kinda the opposite of entrapment.

How do you catch that sly fox who only breaks the law in secret? Sometimes gotta be sneaky too! Now that’s for entrapment

1 Like

The key to an entrapment defense is that I, the defendant, was coerced or induced by law enforcement or their agents to commit a crime that I would not have committed otherwise. This means that without their influence, I would not have had the intent or predisposition to commit the crime. Entrapment occurs when law enforcement officials use tactics such as harassment, intimidation, or extended fraud to force me into committing a crime, and I must prove that their actions were the primary motivating factor for the crime. This defense is often used in cases involving victimless crimes, such as soliciting prostitution or buying illegal substances, where the government’s actions can be seen as coercive or manipulative.