What resources or options are available for finding free or low-cost legal assistance in California regarding family law matters, as discussed in the JURISNEST thread?

Can anyone offer advice or suggestions on how to find legal assistance for a domestic abuse victim in Southern California who is on welfare and seeking a divorce? I’ve already filed a Domestic Violence Restraining Order (DVRO) and attempted to contact local domestic violence programs.

The accused spouse is in another state. I’d appreciate any recommendations or insights from those who have successfully accessed free or affordable legal aid in similar situations.

Thank you!

3 Likes

Every California court offers self-help services to assist with paperwork and other necessary steps. Additionally, you might want to explore resources like marble.co or legalshield, both of which offer services with payment options.

3 Likes

You can begin your search at this link: https://www.lawhelpca.org/

2 Likes

Simply reach out to your nearby Legal Aid office for complimentary legal guidance.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll check this out. :slightly_smiling_face:

In California, you can find free or low-cost legal assistance for family law matters through resources like legal aid organizations, local bar associations, and self-help centers at the courthouse.