Will child support take my inheritance

Hi, How does the law regarding child support intersect with inheritance rights? Can a parent’s inheritance be subject to child support claims, and what factors determine this outcome?

1 Like

If your father never paid child support, he owes your mother a lot of money.
She supported you the whole time you were growing up. She paid for housing, food, water, toilet paper, transportation, clothes, and everything else you needed and probably a lot of what you wanted.

There is no debt owed to you.

I suggest that you do two things:

1. Go to your mother and thank her for paying for everything.
  2. Help your mother file suit against your father. There is no statute of limitations on child support. He owes her and he owes her big!

Remember, not a penny of the child support money is yours. It’s your mother’s.

This money could make a huge difference to your mother’s quality of life in retirement.

I hope this information is helpful so far :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Child support laws can vary by jurisdiction, but generally, inheritance can be considered income and might be factored into child support calculations. It’s best to consult with a family law attorney to understand how inheritance might affect child support in your specific situation.

Child support is paid using your income and basically your inheritance is not an income. Therefore, it will not be taken…consider yourself lucky

Inheritance may influence child support responsibilities, although there is no universal rule. It usually depends on the type and amount of inheritance you receive. If the inheritance generates a large quantity of recurring income or payments, it may affect the amount of child support required.